Thursday, January 15, 2009

Home again

I landed back in entebbe uganda last friday morning after spending Christmas and New Years in the States. When I stepped off the plane, the atmosphere was different than when i had left. Not only was it warmer, but it smelled like a new year. I knew I was stepping off a plane into a fresh start and I couldn't wait to see my African family. I got home where everyone greeted me with hugs and excitement. I decided to sleep a little, but not much because I couldn't wait to wrap the presents i had brought for Marike and the Jones family. Friday evening we had a second Christmas where the Jones boys unwrapped their gifts in excitement and joy. Its not often that they receive gifts from America. After opening their tranformer, robot, guitar hero, cranium, t-shirt, and star wars legos, they each came and hugged me one by one as i thought to myself, this is what Christmas is all about. Family and blessing. The following morning Marike and I left for Jinja with 29 of the UJV children ages 12-18. I got to the UJV and the girls were outside waiting for us. They came and hugged me welcoming me back home. As we waited for the bus to arrive, the boys kept peaking out of their room in shyness to come greet me, yet they wouldn't come out. Instead they kept looking out in excitement that I had returned. The grins on their faces gave their emotions away. Jimmy yelled from behind the door, "Auntie Maria!" thinking I wouldn't know it was him. OF course i know Jimmy's voice though, so i called back to him and yelled "Jimmy!" while he started laughing his crazy loud laugh. I had missed these kids more than i realized and i was so excited to be welcomed back in more love than ive ever known.
We drove 2 hours to Jinja, stopping on the way for the kids to "sousu" in the woods. i hate that word, it just sounds nasty. While we were waiting for the kids to finish up, an truck drove by us with some young african men. The one man asked Memory if he could have the mizungus (the whites) in our bus. Memory laughed and started preaching the gospel to him as they drove away.
When we reached Jinja, they showed us around and ate lunch. Rice, greens, chapattis and beans. typical african meal. The kids then walked 45 minutes to the lake while i rested in my room from my jetlag and lack of sleep. They returned tired and frustrated for having to walk that far. They knew before they left it would be a 45 minute walk, but they were still eager to swim in Lake Victoria.
The following day was sunday so we woke up and had church. Sharon and Concy lead worship with Memory and Sunday interpreted Memory's message. Worship was amazing as the kids went into deep prayer. They went up to the microphone praying from their hearts and even in tongues. It was so powerful that it stirred my heart in hunger as i know it did others. I'm so proud of who they've become in Christ and how well they have started to lead. Jimmy gave testimony of overcoming voices that have spoken death to him in the night. He said He stood firm on God's word and told the voices to be quiet. And they did. After sharing I asked Jimmy if he had experienced that before and how often. He said maybe 3 times before. So i prayed with him then to rebuke all the voices and all the lies so it wouldn't happen again. I even broke any spirit of death, fear or cursing on Him.
AFter service, we went out to the ropes course where the children could not stop smiling. The loved swinging, climbing, balancing, and flying. for some it was difficult, but they all pushed through to the end. I skipped around alot, but covered everything eventually. The first challenge was 10 tire swings to climb across. It wore me out like an old woman. When i got to the end, i sat for 10 minutes to catch my breath. I got back up and went to face the rope swing, but in my fear, i chickened out. and went ahead to the tight ropes. Before I finished the course I came back to the rope swing with a couple of the boys. they encouraged me and said i could i do it. So i grabbed the rope as high as i could, i took a big step back, and ready to swing i stopped and said "I cant do it!". so jimmy took the rope and swung himself over. Richard then grabbed the rope from him and swung himself back. So i said, ok im gonna do it! and when i grabbed the rope, i couldnt do it. So colline came and asked for my camera. I gave it to him as he went and took pictures. Jimmy again said, Maria you can do it. I looked at him and said, your right. I grabbed the rope, i jumped and i swung and then i crashed. I landed in the dirt. and i said, oh no, yeah right. I got back on the platform, grabbed the rope held my feet up and swung successfully to the other side. Colline even got a picture of me! It was amazing how a little encouragement and a little determination can conquer fear. It's really true that the best side of you comes out when you're simply loved and believed in.
As Jimmy helped me with my fear, I helped Janet with hers. She was screaming and crying and freaking out on the tight ropes. I stood next to her with my hands up for full support if she fell and told her relax, u got this. Just take a deep breath and keep your eyes on the end. She then proceeded to walk the whole way through.
I asked the children what they learned on this retreat and how they overcame their challenges. They said they learned how to listen to their leaders, and how to respect authority. They learned how to kill mosquitoes and how to be patient. Stephen (the oldest boy) said the ropes course was most challenging because he was too weak and he overcame it by pushing on through. Jimmy and Susan said if they could have done something differently it would have been outreach in Jinja. They wanted to pray for people!

After returning home, i sorted through the donations that i brought and the donations my church gave me for the children. I made a plastic bag for every child with a present inside. the older boys got flashlights, cds, socks, while the older girls received clothes, purses, shoes, and jewelry. The younger kids got toys such as trucks, mr potato head, spongebob, balloons, stickers, and balls. I brought them all to the UJV and met with all of them as a group telling them my church donated and I also contributed to bringing them gifts. As i handed out each designated gift, their eyes lit up with excitement and surprise. They were not used to getting electronics, nice bags, high heels or jewelry. they were used to getting small toys. They all thanked me and started using their gifts right away. Joy leaped inside of me as i saw my kids glowing with smiles. I could see in their faces they felt extremely loved.

Yesterday after writing a report of the Jinja retreat, Pastor Robert and the mamas were meeting with all of the boys to discuss respect and obedience. I joined the meeting as this had started to be an issue for me last month with the children. As Pastor Robert spoke of respecting authority and being obedient to take care of themselves in bathing and washing their clothes, the boys nodded their heads in understanding and laughed at Stuart for being covered in dirt at the moment. when the meeting concluded, all 30 boys stood up and came to us one by one to shake our hands and say thank you. As each one grabbed my hand and looked into my eyes, i melted in unbelief that i had the privilege of being loved and respected by these kids. these kids were beaten, abused, undisciplined, mistrusting, fearful, and had experienced more trauma than i could ever imagine. And now they came one by one, thanking me, and telling me they would obey and they were grateful. There was trust in their eyes and they knew they were loved. The last boy to thank me was the boy that everyone calls my son. His name is Bosco and he is 14. They call him my son because somehow the Lord used me to get him to start speaking English. I spent a little bit of time each day with him, trying to talk to him, but mostly feeling like i was talking to myself. Then one day he started talking and grew more and more bold. We became close friends and now he's my son. So as Bosco came to thank me, he smiled wide and grabbed my hand squeezing ever so tightly in a playful manner saying thank you as he ran away. It was at that moment that I realized i was home again and i wouldn't be happier anywhere else.

No comments: